MBA Stories: Switching Careers

• Anisa Mechler T7 Banner

Anisa Mechler (Class of 2018) arrived at Darden with a degree in chemical engineering from MIT and experience as an engineer at Dominion Engineering. However, Mechler said she realized her "15-year-old self’s dream" of being a chemical engineer needed a makeover, which brought her to Darden where she has emerged as a leader. Mechler was elected president of the Darden Student Association at the end of her First Year and secured a coveted internship at consulting powerhouse Bain & Co.

She participated in a Q&A with Poets & Quants when she arrived at Darden as a First Year to shed light on her decision and future career plans.

What led you to choose this program for your full-time MBA?

Early in the application process, I became a case-method convert, but it wasn’t until I visited Darden that I understood how powerful the case method could be in an intimate section environment. Everyone at Darden talks about the tight community, and the close relationships I witnessed between the faculty and students at Darden really appealed to me.

Looking back on your experience, what advice would you give to future business school applicants?

No other candidate is exactly like you and nobody besides you (and your closest friends and family) really know what you’re looking for. Talk to the people closest to you about your goals; ask them to give you tough feedback. Taking the time to define yourself as a candidate makes the rest of the application go more smoothly.

Read the full Q&A on Poets & Quants.