MBA Stories: Military Veteran

• Mick Denne

Mick Denner came to Darden with a unique story. He was a trained singer in classical and opera music and a U.S. Marine Corps veteran who served as a combat engineer officer for six years.

Being in the military helped him to develop strong leadership skills, and he wanted an MBA experience that would help him translate those skills into the private sector.

"The Darden Military Association (DMA) was a huge draw for me. I was concerned about how I would transition from wearing a uniform every day to being a student and pivoting my career, and I was immensely comforted knowing the DMA was there as a strong and established organization that would help me make the transition," said Denner. "A lot of the reasons that drove me to join the Marine Corps are what drove me to Darden. It has a reputation for being extremely tough and for being an MBA that you really earn."

Denner came to Darden with the goal of becoming a management consultant. However, after attending the Career Development Center's Career Discovery Forum panels his first few weeks at school, he realized that the general management and corporate finance industries aligned more closely with his interests and what he wanted in the next step of his career.

Hard work and preparation paid off, and he landed an internship at Northrop Grumman, where he has served as a business management intern.

Denner offered a few pieces of advice for future Darden classes. "Start making connections and asking questions early about what careers look like in particular industries. Darden alumni are happy to speak with Darden students and help you as you gather information for your career search."